A work-related aside here. By day, I’m the Program Manager for Atlanta Celebrates Photography, an arts non-profit entering its 10th year. We create a month-long festival of photography here every October. Lectures, exhibitions, openings, an auction, education programs, public art, a push-pin show, a film series, a portfolio review, and more!
I was new to the job last year, but was very impressed by the Portfolio Review, and by the dedication of the reviewers. The reviewees seemed to really enjoy themselves, too. (I even met some 2point8 readers!) I went to New York for a portfolio review once and was totally underwhelmed at the lack of insightfulness of my sole reviewer. In Atlanta, you’ll get four totally insightful reviewers, and some of the reviewers are super famous, even!
Basically, it’s a great way to get your work out there in front of influential eyes to see if you’re heading in the right direction, or if you should take up tennis.
Registration for the Portfolio Review (which is juried this year) closes June 7th, which means you should Register Now.
Check out this list of reviewers:
- Sue Brisk – Editorial Director, Magnum Photos, NYC, NY
- Brian Clamp – Owner, Clampart, NYC, NY
- Daniel Cooney – Owner, Cooney Fine Art, NYC, NY
- Julian Cox – Head Curator of Photography, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA
- Natasha Egan – Assoc. Dir. Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, IL
- Sylvie Fortin – Editor, Art Papers, Atlanta, GA
- Brooks Jensen – Publisher, Lenswork, Anacortes, WA
- Debra Klomp Ching – Co-Owner, Klompching Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Carol McCusker – Curator, MOPA, San Diego, CA
- Danielle Place – Creative Director, Photography Department, Turner Images, Atlanta, GA
- Erik Schneider – Owner, Quality Pictures, Portland, OR
- Anna Skillman – Owner, Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, GA
- Madeline Yale – Director of Houston Center for Photography, Houston, TX