If you have lots of time in West Texas, here’s a list of items that might be interesting to photograph. None of these ideas are special, exactly; they tend toward the “cataloging” style. Each idea might be its own unique kind of boring, but that’s the curse of catalogs, if exhaustive, they’re potentially exhausting.
- rest areas: a photographic catalog of drivers who’ve returned to rest areas to retrieve an item they left on the roof of their vehicle. Portraits of itemleaver with their item
- roadkill, one photograph per day from a fixed tripod position, from the first day until the kill’s gone
- portraits of hunters who utilize the free wireless at Calib’s Cafe in Ozona in pre-dawn, before the hunt. A season of hunters with hot coffee and laptops, essentially
- ranch gates: ornamentation differences between locked gates vs. open gates
- a study of the many _noflashcorners_ in El Paso
- quick and dirty digital photographs of everyone in Ciudad Juarez who crosses the border (on foot, legally) to work in El Paso between the hours of 7 and 8am vs. those who cross the border (on foot, legally) to work in Ciudad Juarez
- some kind of project involving over-photographing a particular broken windmill –> in such a way that eats the cliche, digests the cliche, and in digesting it, permanently removes the broken windmill from its status as a worthwhile photographic subject
- unwashed windshields of drivers who have driven the entire 834 miles of interstate 10
- portraits of drivers who own “WWDJD?” (What Would Donald Judd Do?) bumper stickers
If I wasn’t just passing through, perhaps I could come-up with better ideas!
For StartersWays of Working, a 10-step introduction to the ins-and-outs of street photography with only nine steps. Or, look at Resources & Discussions.
- New Winogrand Restrospective 2013-2015
- Chuck Patch Discovers Winogrand’s 1964 Worlds’ Fair Women at Boston Museum of Fine Arts
- A JPG Transcript of Jacques Derrida on Photography and Not Being Photographed
- Same Same But Different
- “Street Photography Now” Fails to Cite Sources
- Winogrand/Papageorge MIT Transcription
- Street Photography Now (printer’s proof)
- Reconsidering Winogrand
- Does Haiti’s Crisis Call for a New Photojournalism?
- Context for Papageorge “American Sports” Outtakes in HBO Documentary